Saturday, a day of recovery.

Saturday July 9th, 2011

After setting the anchors in the dark last night the boat swung around as the tide turned and pushed the hulls up against a mud flat. As I awoke early I realized that I was stuck and would have to wait until the tide comes back in. I took advantage of the situation and got off the boat with a rag and scrub pad and went to work cleaning the bottom.


Making quick work of that I started to explore the shoreline. I noticed a small flats boat approaching and pulling in close. The guy driving the boat asked if I needed help and I said I was ok. He then gave me some friendly advice telling me that they (the military people of Camp Lejuene) would fine me $1000 for "boots on the ground". I thanked him as he went on his way and promptly got back on the boat. By this time the tide was beginning to come in anyway. Having a little time to kill I cooked a big breakfast on the grill.



After That I set about repairing the transom of the dinghy. A couple of cuts off of a piece of scrap wood and a few holes drilled made for a good solid temporary repair. The tide had risen enough by now so I was able to start the engine and pull the anchors in. Two and a half hours later I arrived in Sneads Ferry. After securing the boat to the dock I got ready to do some maintenance on the engine.

I went to the marina's store and bought some oil, parts and beer and spent the afternoon in-between rain showers working from the dinghy. I removed the carbuerator and totally rebuilt it changed the oil and put it all back together. I started the engine and it purred like a kitten!
As evening drew close I talked with some locals and played in their impromptu beanbag (cornhole) tournament.

A few beers and a few laughs later I headed back to the boat. A couple of local shrimpers that I had talked to ealier had just returned to the dock and offered me some shrimp that I gladly accepted. Time for bed to rest up for an early departure the next day

No comments:

Post a Comment